If you listen to what a lot of popular travel websites are saying, now through Monday is the absolute best time to book your flights for holiday travel.
According to a calendar released by Orbitz.com, Thanksgiving travelers will find the lowest fares by booking either today or Oct. 30 or 31. Christmas travelers should book Oct. 28, and New Year’s Eve travelers should book on either Oct. 28 or Oct. 31. According to Orbitz, you can also find discounted fares on certain dates through early November.
The Orbitz data also outlines the busiest airports for Thanksgiving travel, which are:
- Chicago O’Hare International
- Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International
- Los Angeles International
- Denver International
- Dallas-Fort Worth International
Houston’s George Bush Intercontinental comes in at No. 7.
So what kind of fares can you find if you book your Thanksgiving flight right now? Let’s take a look at some sample fares I found this morning out of Austin.
- Austin to Las Vegas, Nov. 23-29, $89.20 round-trip on Frontier
- Austin to Fort Lauderdale, Nov. 24-29, $191.20 round-trip on JetBlue
- Austin to San Francisco, Nov. 24-29, $275.96 round-trip on Southwest
- Austin to Monterrey, Mexico, Nov. 23-30, $286.25 on United
Yes, you have to wade through lots of blackout dates and sometimes fly at weird times, but if you have a little flexibility there are some solid options. Frankly, compared to some years, the current Thanksgiving flight landscape isn’t bad.